In my clinical world, day by day I come across clients facing many different types and forms of "Over-thinking."

Everyone goes through both negative and positive thoughts. It depends on our ability how to create balance in our thoughts.

When we view the world in very black-and-white terms and use words like: always/never, nobody/everybody, everything/nothing, we create a rigid way of thinking. One leaves no room for *grey*, which forms practical aspects of life. Black-and-white thinkers, are always very difficult to have discussions with because they are always right...."my way or the highway".

It's one of the thought virus and could be easily managed by educating ourselves and dispute with these worrisome  thoughts by applying management techniques. 

The "should", "must', and "have to" all mean the same thing, and hence create the same emotional, biological and behavioral responses.

                                   THOUGHTS                             EFFECTS
  

I have to/ I must

Pressure/tension/obligation 

I should have         

 guilt/regret

I shouldn't have

 guilt/self-loathing 

They should have 

 disappointment/ anger

They shouldn't have

 resentment


Comments

Popular Posts